Beautiful Day

Friday, March 14, 2014

Capturing Moments--February Edition

As we are now nearly half way through March, I am quickly documenting the memories of February.  It was really quite a fun and eventful month!


Music is an integral part of our lives and home and cold winter days means cozy indoor moments spent learning new tunes or new instruments.  We added a couple of instruments to our repertoire recently, though this guitar isn't one of the more recent ones.  This one was a gift from an uncle, when we discovered it sitting at Grandma and Grandpa's house, a little worn and lonely on its stand, and Young Warrior asked if he could have it.  So we brought it home and had it brought up to playing quality--my, is it lovely!


I already mentioned the snow.  Yes, it DID put happy faces on everyone's face, even our buried little car!

I suppose it did not put happy faces on our hens, though!  After a few days of keeping them insulated, Country Girl went out to "un-bury" them.  I love this photo because it seems very Tasha Tudor-like, in her long wool cloak.  After spending some time with the company of Middle Earth this winter, Country Girl and Adventure Girl decided they were finally going to do that long-planned project of making these capes.  And now, they hardly go anywhere without them! (They double as a nice warm winter blanket for reading time on the couch).

Did you know you can make your own S'Mores pizza like they make at Papa Murphy's?  It's really quite easy (and much cheaper)!  It's a little sweet for me, personally, but it is a fun treat on occasion for our weekly homemade pizza night.



Ah, yes, and Valentine's Day.  Which means just another excuse for a tea party and a pretty table!  And scrumptious food!


I love my little tribute to Olde England in a teacup :)  


Family love letters.  Each year I think the children stuff this box more full!  Taking them out is a highly anticipated moment.


Homemade Valentines and a sweet potholder from my Country Girl.  I am well-loved indeed, and so very thankful.


My beautiful friends held a very special English-style tea with a Downton Abbey theme.  They did a fabulous job at creating such a lovely event! We were encouraged to come in costume, and as DA is set in the 1910s and 1920s, I thought it was the perfect opportunity to wear my Titanic tea gown that I made about ten years ago!  Thankfully, the weather even cooperated.



I honestly think it's about the best tea, in terms of delicious food and beauty, that I have been to!  You must believe me that everything tasted wonderful!  And I had another opportunity to provide some scones.  I rarely pass up an opportunity to make scones :)


And, we must not forget the Olympics in Sochi.  A source of lots of conversations about discipline, hard work, the sacrifices people make (and are they always worth it? and for what prize?), and inspiration.  

One evening Warrior Daddy decided to have a speed skating competition.  The children practiced their best speed skating form and tried to move in sync with the skaters on the television.  It was rather amusing.


Speed skating in pajamas


Getting the form down quite well.  

And may I add that hereafter there was much rollerblading outdoors and practicing all manner of skating in the cul-de-sac....and finally....
AN ICE SKATING TRIP!  We've been trying to do this for over a year.  For various reasons we just couldn't seem to make it happen (the ice skating rinks are not necessarily close-to-home).  What fun everyone had.  We stayed to just about closing and still didn't want to leave except for our tired aching feet (rental skates are not well-known for their comfort).  I helped my girls who wanted to learn to skate backwards, and we all tried to fumble our way through learning a spin of some kind.  There were some skilled skaters there.  My Princess girl found herself trying all kinds of tricks....and this was her FIRST time on ice skates!  I was amazed at what she could do by the end of the evening.

I don't have pictures from our visit with the like-minded, fellow Bible Bee, musically talented, and dear S family whom we were able to visit on the same weekend!  It was so much fun to have such stimulating conversations, good food, fellowship for the young adults and teens while Ceili dancing and playing games in the basement, younger children playing together, and more.  The older ones were all getting warmed up at 11 pm, but we needed to make the drive back to our hotel and get up early the next morning.  Great memories!

The great backyard bird watch takes place in February too.  In our household, it takes place almost all year long!

That is our February all wrapped up in one blog post!  And now, I'm off to take in the rest of March.  We plan to attend a Ceili this evening, have some St. Patrick's Day fun (including food, of course), participate in an upcoming fiddle contest, and start Irish dance lessons.  




1 comment:

  1. We all enjoyed seeing the pictures of your February:) it looks like you all had fun! We got a good laugh out of the acting like speed skaters:) that was hilarious. I really like your tea dress. It's beautiful. We can't wait till we see you all again.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...