Beautiful Day

Sunday, June 24, 2012

More of Faith, Less of Self


O Saviour of Sinners,

Thy name is excellent,
thy glory high,
thy compassions unfailing,
thy condescension wonderful,
thy mercy tender.

I bless thee for the discoveries, invitations, promises of the gospel
for in them is pardon for rebels,
liberty for captives,
health for the sick,
salvation for the lost.
I come to thee in thy beloved name of Jesus;
re-impress thy image upon my soul;
Raise me above the smiles and frowns of the world,
regarding it as a light thing to be judged by men;
May thy approbation be my only aim,
thy Word my one rule.
Make me to abhor that which grieves thy Holy Spirit,
to suspect consolations of a worldly nature,
to shun a careless way of life,
to reprove evil,
to instruct with meekness those who oppose me,
to be gentle and patient towards all men,
to be not only a professor but an example of the gospel,
displaying in every relation, office, and condition
its excellency, loveliness and advantages.
How little have I illustrated my principles
and improved my privileges!
How seldom I served my generation!
How often have I injured and not recommended my Redeemer!
How few are those blessed through me!
In many things I have offended,
in all come short of thy glory;
Pardon my iniquity, for it is great.

~"Living for Jesus,"  The Valley of Vision

This past week I have been amazed at how God has woven one theme throughout several avenues.  I love when He does that; even more, I love when I can see it!  I really think this happens when I have taken the time to really be in His Word and to listen.  I can't say enough how much I am enjoying studying 2 Timothy--and studying it with my whole family. 

We just returned home from our state home education conference (yes, we had the privilege of getting to go to two this year!  Both excellent, by the way).  What did I bring home?  The power of the Gospel!  That's really the essence of what I felt the Lord doing in my heart.  I want to live by faith more and by self less.  I want this life of home discipleship to be used as a tool for the Gospel of Jesus Christ--for our marriage, for our children, and for those whom we meet around us.  I heard several people speak this weekend who conveyed a passion for the Gospel and that is what really ministered to me.  I was both humbled and stirred.  I have so often been overwhelmed at points along the way because I rely too much on my own strength (which is always lacking) and not enough on His (which is never lacking).

Today I am thankful for some extra time to ponder these truths and to consider how to let them permeate my life.

"For this reason I also suffer these things;nevertheless I am not ashamed, for I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that He is able to keep what I have committed to Him until that Day.  Hold fast the pattern of sound words which you have heard from me, in faith and love which are in Christ Jesus.  That good thing which was committed to you, keep by the Holy Spirit who dwells in us."

~2 Timothy 1:12-14, NKJV

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...